Manual S® - Residential Equipment Selection (2nd Edition) [ANSI/ACCA 3 Manual S - 2014]
The Second Edition of Manual S shows you how to select and size heating and cooling equipment to meet loads for a particular home based on local climate and home construction specifics. Contractors in Miami, Phoenix, and Seattle - all extremely different climates - would never use the same equipment and expect the same results. Manual S provides sizing requirements for 11 types of cooling and heating equipment, as well as in-depth explanations and examples of how to use the manufacturer's performance data.
Manual S consists of three normative sections, thirteen informative sections, and twenty two appendices across six parts.
PURCHASE MANUAL S
- Section N1 - Definitions and General Requirements
This section defines terminology used throughout Manual S.
- Section N2 - Equipment Size Limits
This section outlines required sizing limits for various equipment throughout Manual S.
- Section N3 - OEM Verification Path
This section is for when comprehensive data is not available or incomplete. You may use alternative OEM information, provided by the system designer.
Part 1 - Informative Material Pertaining to Basic Issues and Concepts
- Section 1 - Equipment Size Issues and Limits
- Section 2 - Cooling-Only and Heat Pump Equipment Selection
- Section 3 - Furnace and Water Boiler Selection
- Section 4 - Humidity Control and Evaporative Cooling Equipment
Part 2 - Informative Material Pertaining to Central Ducted System Examples and Hydronic Heating Examples
- Section 5 - Central Duct Air-Air Cooling Examples
- Section 6 - Central Ducted Air-Air Heat Pump Heating Examples
- Section 7 - Central Ducted Furnace Examples
- Section 8 - Dual Fuel Heating Procedures and Examples
- Section 9 - Central Ducted Water-Air Heat Pump Examples
- Section 10 - Hydronic Heating Equipment Examples
Part 3 - Informative Material Pertaining to Ductless Air-Air Equipment
- Section 11 - Ductless Single-Split Equipment
- Section 12 - Ductless Multi-Split Systems
- Section 13 - Single-Package Equipment
Part 4 - Informative Material Pertaining to Implementation
- Appendix 1 - Basic Concepts for Air Systems Equipment
- Appendix 2 - Entering Air Calculations
- Appendix 3 - Searching OEM Data for Candidate Equipment
- Appendix 4 - Requirements for Expanded Performance Data
- Appendix 5 - Altitude Effects
Part 5 - Informative Related Information
- Appendix 6 - Energy and Op-Cost Calculations
- Appendix 7 - Moisture and Condensation Issues
- Appendix 8 - Condensation Calculations
- Appendix 9 - Water-Loop Issues for Water-Air Heat Pumps
- Appendix 10 - Ductless Multi-Split Piping
- Appendix 11 - Furnace or Water Boiler Cycling Efficiency
- Appendix 12 - Matching Evaporators and Condensing Units
- Appendix 13 - Performance Models for Cooling-Only and Heat Pump Equipment
- Appendix 14 - Air-Air Heat Pump Supply Air Temperature
- Appendix 15 - Whole-House Dehumidifier Performance
Part 6 - Informative Ancillary Pages
- Appendix 16 - Glossary
- Appendix 17 - Symbols, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
- Appendix 18 - Summary of Equations
- Appendix 19 - Supporting Detail for Equipment Sizing Examples
- Appendix 20 - Rationale for Section N2 Sizing Limits
- Appendix 21 - Related Resources
- Appendix 22 - Blank Forms
PURCHASE MANUAL S
Additional Manual S Resources
ACCA Speed-Sheets are Excel spreadsheets available for purchase that can be used in conjunction with ACCA Technical Manuals, which assist in learning important system design concepts. Speed-Sheets are not a replacement for the full Technical Manual, and are not a replacement for ACCA-approved software.
Learn more about ACCA’s Speed-Sheets here.